Night Photography Workshop
This very hands-on workshop is perfect for photography enthusiasts who want to begin mastering low-light, long exposure photography.
Working with the expert team from Stradbroke Island Photography, participants will dive into essential theory – with lots of time to ask questions – and also practice the new shooting techniques they’ve learned.
Topics covered will include:
- Depth of field – exploring the infinity setting
- Using correct ISO and shutter speed
- Shooting RAW versus not
- Lens choice
- Difference between a star shot and star trail
- Basics of astronomy and movement
- Understanding South Pole positioning
- Touching on advanced technique
The workshop will run for two hours and include a mixture of both theory – with plenty of time for questions – and
also shooting on North Stradbroke Island.
Participants will then have access to an online workshop guiding them through the Straddie Scape Lightroom editing process. The cost includes workshop notes, cheat sheets to
tuck into your camera bag and barista coffee and tea. Participants need to wear comfortable shoes and bring an umbrella.
Prep wise, participants will need to have at least a basic to intermediate knowledge of using their camera in Manual mode. For this reason, we suggest first completing our Beginner Photography Workshop.
Other requirements are:
- Your camera: this workshop is only suitable for digital
cameras with manual controls (P, A/Av, S/Tv and M
modes), including DSLR and mirrorless models
- Fully charged camera batteries and empty memory
- Lens/es (especially a good wide angle lens and any
other zoom lenses. The faster the lens the better –
- Sturdy tripod (essential)
- Manual for your camera (we suggest downloading a
PDF version to your smartphone, computer or tablet)
- Any flash equipment you own.
- Head torch/torch (with enough illumination to light your
camera displays without casting any light on photo
- Cable release (highly recommended but not essential;
a cheaper solution would be a timer trigger you could
buy on eBay)
- You will also need a copy of Adobe Lightroom installed
for the follow-up online editing workshop, even if it’s just
a 30-day evaluation copy
This course is designed to combine the minimum amount of fuss, gear lugging and fiddling with the maximum amount of fun.