Get more from your camera
This hands-on workshop is designed for budding
photographers who want to wean themselves off auto
mode and start exploring their camera’s full potential with
confidence. Under the expert guidance of the Stradbroke Island
Photography team, participants will learn essential theory
– with plenty of time for questions – and then put their new
techniques and skills to practical use.
Topics covered will include:
- Different cameras and accessories
- Lenses explained
- Focusing techniques
- Exposure and the Mode dial
- Composition techniques
- Focal lengths
- White balance and colour
- ISO - what even is this?
- Aperture and depth of field
- Using shutter speed to capture action
The workshop will incorporate a two-hour teaching forum
at SIP’s Amity Point studio, before an hour-long pre-
sunset shooting session at Amity boat ramp and
The cost includes workshop notes, cheat sheets to
tuck into your camera bag and barista coffee and tea. Participants need to wear comfortable shoes and bring an umbrella.
Other requirements are:
- Your camera: the workshop is suitable for digital
cameras with manual controls (P, A/Av, S/Tv and M
modes), including DSLR and mirrorless models
- Fully charged camera batteries and empty memory cards
- Manual for your camera
- A notebook and pen
We suggest completing this course before moving on to
more specialised workshops.